Biosketch of Prof. Chia-Hua Kuo
Kuo, Chia-Hua, Ph.D. FACSM
C745, 7th Floor, Administrative Building
Zhungcheng Rd, Section 2,
University of Taipei
Shilin District, Taipei, Taiwan 111
Phone +886-2-28718288 ext 5802
Fax +886-2- 28753383
Distinguished Professor, Department of Sports Sciences
University of Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
Dean, College of Kinesiology
University of Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
Ph.D. Interdisciplinary: Exercise Physiology, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas at Austin, 1991-1997
Dean, Research and Development, University of Taipei (2013-2019)
Chair, Department of Sports Sciences (2007-2013)
Director, Research Institute for Sports Science (2005-2007)
Director, Computation Center (1998-2002)
Distinguished Professor (2017-present), University of Taipei
Professor (2003-2017), Department of Sports Sciences, University of Taipei
Associate professor (2000-2003), Department of Sports Sciences
Assistant professor (1997-2000), Department of Sports Sciences
Affiliate Professor, Department of Food Science, Nutrition and Nutraceutical Biotechnology, Shih-Chien University (2007-2015)
Affiliate Research Professor, Guaduate Institute of Rehabilitation Science, China Medical University (2010-2016)
Human Performance and Sports Nutrition
Human Metabolism and Aging
Recognition in Service
Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine
Visiting Professor, Soochow University, China
Visiting Professor, University of Malaya, Malaysia
Outstanding research award in sports science (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012), Sports Administration Ministry of Education, Taiwan
President Elect (2018-2020), Asian Nutrition Society for Sports & Health
President (2015-2018), International Society for Adaptive Medicine
President (2015-2020), Taiwan Society for Sports Nutrition
Chair, Reviewing Panel for anti-fatigue food supplement (2016-now), FDA, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Taiwan ROC
Reviewing Panel member, Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan, ROC
Board member, FDA, Ministry of Health and Welfare (2010-now), Taiwan, ROC
Chair, Committee of Sports Nutrition for Olympic, Sports Affair Council (2010-2012)
Secretary General and Executive Committee Member (2015-2018), Asian Nutrition Society for Sports and Health (ANSSH)
External grant reviewer, National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
External grant reviewer, National Institute of Education, Singapore
External Ph.D. examiner in India: University of Madras, Justice Basheer Ahmed Sayeed College for Women, Alagappa University, Annamalai University, Thiruvalluvar University
Associate Editor, Frontiers in Physiology
Associate Editor, Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine
Editor-in-Chief, Sports & Exercise Research (Top-ranked sports sciences journal in Taiwan)
Diabetes, Diabetes Care, Aging Male, American Journal of Physiology, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle, Journal of Sports Sciences, Journal of Physiology, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, Obesity, British Journal of Sports Medicine, International Journal of Cardiology, Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging, Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, European Journal of Applied Physiology, Journal of Food Biochemistry, Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine
- Kuo, CH. DHEA-S and coping capability. DHEA in Human Health and Aging; Editor: Watson, Ronald Ross, Publisher: Taylor & Francis Inc, ISBN: 9781439838839, Publication date: 20 July 2011
- Wang PS, Kuo CH, Takeda N, Singal PK. Adaptation Biology and Medicine: Volume 6: Cell Adaptations and Challenges, International Society for Adaptive Medicine, ISBN: 978-81-7319-935-6, Publishing Year: 2011
- Kuo CH, Ding Z. Ivy JL. Interaction of exercise training and clenbuterol on GLUT-4 protein in muscle of obese Zucker rats. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinol & Metab. 271: E847-54, 1996.
- Castle AL., Kuo CH, and Ivy JL. Amylin influences insulin-stimulated glucose metabolism by two independent mechanisms. American Journal of Physiology -Endocrinol & Metab 274: E6-E12, 1998.
- Castle AL., Kuo CH, Han DH, and Ivy JL. Amylin mediated inhibition of insulin stimulated glucose transport in skeletal muscle. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinol & Metab 275: E531-E536, 1998.
- Ivy JL and Kuo CH. Regulation of GLUT4 protein and glycogen synthase during muscle glycogen synthesis after exercise. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica. 162, 295-304, 1998.
- Kuo CH, Hunt DG Ding Z, and Ivy JL. Effect of carbohydrate supplementation on postexercise GLUT4 protein expression in skeletal muscle. Journal of Applied Physiology 87: 2290-2295, 1999.
- Kuo CH, Browning KS, and JL Ivy. Regulation of GLUT4 protein expression and glycogen storage after prolonged exercise. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica. 165, 193-201, 1999.
- Castle A, Yaspelkis BB, Kuo CH, and Ivy JL. Attenuation of insulin resistance by chronic β2-adrenergic agonist treatment Possible muscle specific contributions. Life Sciences 69: 599-611, 2001.
- Lee WC, Chen JJ, Hou CW, Ho HY, Liang MP, Sen YW, and Kuo CH. Short-term altitude mountain living improves glucose tolerance. High Altitude Medicine & Biology 4, 81-91, 2003.
- Hou CW, Chou SW, Ho HY, Lee WC, Lin CH, and Kuo CH. Effect of exercise training and growth hormone administration on glucose tolerance and muscle GLUT4 protein expression. Journal of Biomedical Science 10: 689-696, 2003.
- Kuo CH, Hwang H, Lee MC, Castle AL, and Ivy JL. Role of insulin on exercise-induced GLUT4 protein expression and glycogen supercompensation in rat skeletal muscle. Journal of Applied Physiology. 96(2): 621-627, 2004.
- Lee WC, Chen JJ, Hunt D, Hou CW, Lai YC, Lin FC, Chen CY, Lin CH, Liao YH, and Kuo CH. Effects of hiking at altitude on body composition and insulin sensitivity in recovery drug addicts. Preventive Medicine 39 (4): 681-688, 2004..
- Chiu LL, Chou SW, Cho YM, Ho HY, Ivy JL, Hunt D, Wang PS, and Kuo CH. Effect of prolonged intermittent hypoxia and exercise training on glucose tolerance and muscle GLUT4 protein expression in rats. Journal of Biomedical Science 11 (6): 838-846, 2004.
- Chou SW, Chiu LL, Cho YM, Ho HY, Ivy JL, Ho CF, and Kuo CH. Effect of systemic hypoxia on GLUT4 protein expression in exercised rat heart. Japanese Journal of Physiology 54(4): 357-363, 2004.
- Cheng IS, Lee NY, Liu KL, Liao SF, Huang CH, Kuo CH. Effect of post-exercise carbohydrate supplementation on glucose uptake-associated gene expression in human skeletal muscle. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 16: 267-271, 2005.
- Chou SW, Lai CS, Hsu TH, Cho YM, Ho HY, Lai YC, Chen SM, Ho CF, and Kuo CH. Characteristics of glycemic control in elite power and endurance athletes. Preventive Medicine. 40: 564-569, 2005.
- Chiu LL, Tsai IL, Lee WC, Cho YM, Ho HY, Chen SM, Chen MC, Kuo CH. Acute effect of exercise-hypoxia challenge on GLUT4 protein expression in rat cardiac muscle. High Altitude Medicine & Biology. 6: 256-262, 2005.
- Chou CH, Tsai YL, Hou CW, Lee HH, Chang WH, Lin TW, Hsu TH, Kuo CH. Glycogen overload by postexercise insulin administration abolished the exercise-induced increase in GLUT4 protein. Journal of Biomedical Science. 12(6):991-888., 2005.
- Yang SC, Chen CY, Liao YH, Lin FC, Lee WC, Cho YM, Chen MC, Chou CH and Kuo CH. Interactive effect of an acute bout of resistance training and DHEA administration on glucose tolerance and serum lipids in middle-aged women. Chinese Journal of Physiology. 48(1): 23-30, 2005.
- Chou SW, Pei YC, Lai CH, Kuo CH, Fu TC, Hong WH. Motor control in patients with incomplete spinal cord injuries and various voluntary movement capabilities. Chang Gung Medical Journal 28(5):349-56, 2005.
- Chen SY, Chen SM, Chang WH, Lai CS, Chen MC, Chou CH, Kuo CH. Effect of 2-month detraining on body composition and insulin sensitivity in young female dancers. International Journal of Obesity. 30(1):40-44, 2006.
- Tsai YL, Hou CW, Liao YH, Chen CY, Lin FC, Lee WC, Chou SW, Kuo CH. Exercise training exacerbates tourniquet ischemia-induced decrease in GLUT4 expression and muscle atrophy in rats. Life Sciences. 78(25):2953-2959, 2006.
- Chen SM, Wang JS, Lee WC, Hou CW, Chen CY, Laio YH, Lin CH, Kuo CH. Validity of the 3-min Step Test at High Altitude: Influence of Ambient Temperature. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism. 31(6):726-730, 2006.
- Lee WC, Chen SM, Wu MC, Hou CW, Lai YC, Laio YH, Lin CH, Kuo CH. The role of dehydroepiandrosterone levels on physiologic adaptations to chronic mountaineering activity. High Altitude Medicine & Biology. 7(3): 228-236, 2006.
- Tsai YM, Chou SW, Lin YC, Hou CW, Hung KC, Kung HW, Lin TW, Kuo CH. Effect of resistance exercise on dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate concentration during a 72-h recovery: Relation to glucose tolerance and insulin response. Life Sciences. 79(13): 1281-1286, 2006.
- Huang YJ, Chen MT, Fang CL, Lee WC, Yang SC, Kuo CH. Possible link between exercise training adaptation and DHEA-S- an oldest-old female study. International Journal of Medical Sciences. 3(4):141-147, 2006.
- Kuo MC, Chou CH, Ho CF, Lee HH, Chang WH, Lin TW, Hou CW, Chien KY, Liu TC, Kuo CH. Glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity following a 1-week volleyball competition. Chinese Journal of Physiology. 49(3):147-151, 2006.
- Lai CH, Tsai YL, Chou SW, Lin FC, Chen CY, Chen SM, Lee WC, Liao YH, and Kuo CH. Characteristics of glycemic control in asthmatic Taiwanese children. Pediatric Exercise Science. 17: 261-271, 2006.
- Wang PT, Chiang IT, Hou CW, Chen CY, Lee HH, Chang WH, Lin TW, Kuo CH. Effect of a 2-month detraining on glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity in athletes- link to adrenal steroid hormones. Chinese Journal of Physiology. 49(5): 251-257, 2006.
- Lai YC, Stuenaes JT, Kuo CH, Jorgen J. Glycogen content and contraction regulate glycogen synthase phosphorylation and affinity for UDP-glucose in rat skeletal muscles. American Journal of Physiology- Endoc Metab. 293(6):E1622-E1629, 2007.
- Lee SD, Kuo WW, Bau DT, Ko FY, Wu FL, Kuo CH, Tsai FJ, Wang PS, Lu MC, Huang CY. The coexistence of nocturnal sustained hypoxia and obesity additively increases cardiac apoptosis. Journal of Applied Physiology. 104(4):1144-1153, 2008.
- Liu TC, Lee SD, Huang CY, Chien KY, Lin CY, Kuo CH. Effects of short-term detraining on obesity measures and glucose tolerance in elite athletes. Journal of Sports Sciences. 26(9): 919-925, 2008.
- Chu CH, Tzang BS, Chen LM, Kuo CH, Cheng YC, Chen LY, Tsai FJ, Tsai CH, Kuo WW, Huang CY. IGF-II/mannose-6-phosphate receptor signaling induced cell hypertrophy and atrial natriuretic peptide/BNP expression via Galphaq interaction and protein kinase C-alpha/CaMKII activation in H9c2 cardiomyoblast cells. Journal of Endocrinology.197, 381–390, 2008.
- Hsu TH, Lee SD, Fang CL, Lee JP, Chen FT, Huang YJ, Chen YL, Liu TC, Kuo CH. Age-dependent increase in insulinemia under glucose challenge is suppressed in early middle-aged females. Chinese Journal of Physiology. 51(5): 263-268, 2008.
- Lee SD, Kuo WW, Ho YJ, Lin AC, Tsai CH, Wang HF, Kuo CH, Yang AL, Huang CY, Hwang JM. Cardiac Fas-dependent and mitochondria-dependent apoptosis in ovariectomized rats. Maturitas. 61(3):268-277, 2008. (SCI)
- Hsieh PS, Tsai HC, Kuo CH, Chan YH, Shyu JF, Cheng WT, Liu TT. Selective COX2 inhibition improves whole body and muscular insulin resistance in fructose-fed rats. European Journal of Clinical Investigation. 38(11):812-819, 2008.
- Lin RH, Huang SK, Wang HF, Chen LM, Tsai FJ, Hsu HH, Kuo CH, Wang PS, Huang CY, Lee SD. Short-term versus long-term intermittent hypobaric hypoxia on cardiac fibrosis and fas death receptor dependent apoptotic pathway in rat hearts. Chinese Journal of Physiology. 51(5):308-316. 2008.
- Chien KY, Hsu KF, Lo HI, Pan RN, Kuo CH, Chen FA, Hsu MC. Effects of swimming on the pharmacokinetics and glucose tolerance of metformin in insulin-resistant rats. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 29: 300–307, 2008.
- Ho CT, Su CL, Liou YF, Lee SD, Chien KY, Chen MT, Kuo CH. Aging effects on glycemic control and inflammation for politicians in Taiwan. Chinese Journal of Physiology. 51(6): 402-407, 2008.
- Liu TC, Kuo CH, Wang PS. Exercise and testosterone. Adaptive Medicine. 1: 24-29, 2009.
- Cheng YC, Kuo WW, Wu CH, Shu WT, Kuo CH, Hwang JM, Hsu HH, Chen LM, Huang CY, Lee SD. Iron status and cardiovascular risk factors in patients with hemodialysis versus patients with ischemic heart disease. Nephrology. 14(1):65-69, 2009.
- Wang HT, Chen SM, Lee SD, Chen KN, Liu YF, Kuo CH. The role of DHEA-S in the mood adjustment against negative competition outcome in golfers. Journal of Sports Sciences. 27(3):291-297, 2009.
- Chen CH, Liu YF, Lee SD, Lee WC, Tsai YL, Hou CW; Huang CY, Kuo CH. Altitude hypoxia increases glucose uptake in human heart. High Altitude Medicine & Biology. 10(1): 83-86, 2009.
- Mallikarjuna K. Nishanth K, Hou CW, Kuo CH, Sathyavelu RK. Effect of exercise training on ethanol-induced oxidative damage in aged rats. Alcohol. 43:59-64, 2009.
- Lai YC, Chen CY, Kuo CH. Exercise and type 2 diabetes. Adaptive Medicine. 1: 1-16, 2009.
- Chen TL, Mao HC, Lai CH, Li CH., Kuo CH. The effect of yoga exercise intervention on health related physical fitness in school-age asthmatic children. Journal of Nursing 56 (2): 42-52, 2009.
- Chen YL, Huang CY, Lee SD, Chou SW, Hsieh PS, Huang YG, Kuo CH. Discipline-specific insulin sensitivity in athletes. Nutrition. 25:1137-1145, 2009.
- Kuo WW, Chung LC, Liu CT, Wu SP, Kuo CH, Tsai FJ, Tsai CH, Lu MC, Huang CY, Lee SD. Effects of insulin replacement on cardiac apoptotic and survival pathways in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Cell Biochemistry & Function. 27(7):479-87, 2009.
- Fang WK, Ko FY, Wang HL, Kuo CH, Chen LM, Tsai FJ, Tsai CH, Chen YS, Kuo WW, Huang CY. The proliferation and migration effects of huangqi on RSC96 Schwann cells. American Journal Chinese Medicine. 2009;37(5):945-59, 2009.
- Wang JS, Chen SM, Lee SP, Lee SD, Huang CY, Hsieh CC, Kuo CH. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate linked to physiologic response against hot spring immersion. Steroids. 7: 945-949, 2009.
- Cheng IS, Liao SF, Kai-Li Liu KL, Liu HY, Ching-Lin Wu CL, Huang CY, Mallikarjuna K, Smith RW, Kuo CH. Effect of dietary glycemic index on substrate transporter gene expression in human skeletal muscle following exercise. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 63(12):1404-10, 2009 (SCI).
- Chen MT, Lee WC, Chen SC, Chen CC, Chen CY, Jensen J, Kuo CH. Effect of prolonged altitude expedition on glucose tolerance and abdominal fatness. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. 81(4):472-7, 2010.
- Chen HH, Chen YL, Huang CY, Lee SD, Chen SC, Kuo CH. Effect of 1-year swimming training on blood pressure and insulin sensitivity in mild hypertensive young patients. Chin J Physiol. 53(3): 185-189, 2010.
- Tien YC, Lin JY, Lai CH, Kuo CH, Lin WY, Tsai CH, Tsai FJ, Cheng YC, Peng WH, Huang CY. Carthamus tinctorius L. prevents LPS-induced TNFalpha signaling activation and cell apoptosis through JNK1/2-NFkappaB pathway inhibition in H9c2 cardiomyoblast cells. J Ethnopharmacol. 9;130(3):505-13, 2010.
- Chang HC, Yang YR, Wang PS, Kuo CH, Wang RY. Effects of insulin-like growth factor 1 on muscle atrophy and motor function in rats with brain ischemia. Chin J Physiol. 2010 Oct 31;53(5):337-48.
- Huang CY, Liou YF, Chung SY, Pai PY, Kan CB, Kuo CH, Tsai CH, Tsai FJ, Chen JL, Lin JY. Increased expression of glucose transporter 3 in gerbil brains following magnesium sulfate treatment and focal cerebral ischemic injury. Cell Biochem Funct. 8(4):313-20, 2010.
- Huang CY, Liou YF, Chung SY, Lin WY, Jong GP, Kuo CH, Tsai FJ, Cheng YC, Cheng FC, Lin JY. Role of ERK signaling in the neuroprotective efficacy of magnesium sulfate treatment during focal cerebral ischemia in the gerbil cortex. Chin J Physiol. 53(5):299-309, 2010.
- Chen CY, Tsai YL, Huang CY, Lee SD, Wu MC, Mallikarjuna K, Liao YH, Ivy JL, Kuo CH. Effect of mild intermittent hypoxia on glucose tolerance, muscle morphology and AMPK-PGC-1α signaling. Chin J Physiol 53(1): 62-71, 2010.
- Weng YJ, Kuo WW, Kuo CH, Tung KC, Tsai CH, Lin JA, Tsai FJ, Hsieh DJ, Huang CY, Hwang JM. BNIP3 induces IL6 and calcineurin/NFAT3 hypertrophic-related pathways in H9c2 cardiomyoblast cells. Mol Cell Biochem 345(1-2):241-7, 2010.
- Chien KY, Chen TT, Hsu J, Pan RN, Li JH, Kuo CH, Hsu MC. Sub-maximal exercise alters the prednisolone absorption pattern. J Pharm Pharmaceut Sci 13(1) 58 - 66, 2010.
- Lai CY, Stuenæs JT, Kuo CH, Jensen J. Insulin-stimulated glycogen synthesis and glycogen synthase activation after electrical stimulation of epitrochlearis muscles with different initial glycogen contents. Arch Physiol Biochem. 116(3):116-27, 2010.
- Chan YS, Hsu KY, Kuo CH, Lee SD, Chen SC, Chen WJ, Ueng SW. Using low-intensity pulsed ultrasound to improve muscle healing after laceration injury: an in vitro and in vivo study. Ultrasound Med Biol. 36(5):743-51, 2010.
- Liu CJ, Lo JF, Kuo CH, Chu CH, Chen LM, Tsai FJ, Tsai CH, Tzang BS, Kuo WW, Huang CY. Akt mediates 17 beta-estradiol and/or estrogen receptor alpha inhibition of LPS-induced tumor necrosis factor-alpha expression and myocardial cell apoptosis by suppressing the JNK1/2-NF kappa B pathway. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. 13(9B):3655-67, 2010.
- Liu CJ, Yang AL, Kuo CH, Tin H, Huang CY, Lee SD. Effects of 17beta-estradiol on cardiac apoptosis in ovariectomized rats. Cell Biochem Funct 28: 1-8, 2010.
- Mallikarjuna K, Hou CW, Chen CY, Lee JP, Sathyavelu Reddy K. and Kuo CH. Angiogenesis: Role of exercise training and aging. Adaptive Medicine, 2(1): 29-41, 2010.
- Chen YL, Liu YF, Huang CY, Lee SD, Chan YS, Chen CC, Harris B, Kuo CH. Normalization effect of sports training on blood pressure in hypertensives. Journal of Sports Sciences. 28(4):361-7, 2010.
- Chen JL, Yeh DP, Lee JP, Chen CY, Huang CY, Lee SD, Chen CC, Kuo TBJ, Kao CL, Kuo CH. Parasympathetic nervous activity mirrors recovery status in weight lifting performance after training. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 25(6):1546-52, 2011.
- Shanmugam KR, Mallikarjuna K, Nishanth K, Lee LC, Cheng IS, Kuo CH and Sathyavelu Reddy K. Nephro-protective effects of ginger on cytosolic and mitochondrial enzymes against STZ-induced diabetic complications in rats. Chin J Physiol. 54(3):203, 2011.
- Shanmugam, KR, Mallikarjuna K, Nishanth K, Chen CY, Kuo CH, Sathyavelu Reddy K. Ginger feeding protects against renal oxidative damage caused by alcohol consumption in rats. Journal of Renal Nutrition 21(3):263-270, 2011.
- Shen JL, Chen YS, Lin JY, Tien YC, Peng WH, Kuo CH, Tzang BS, Wang HL, Tsai FJ, Chou MC, Huang CY, Lin CC. Neuron regeneration and proliferation effects of Danshen and Tanshinone IIA. Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2011;2011:378907. Epub 2010 Dec 1.
- Chang SH, Liu CJ, Kuo CH, Chen H, Lin WY, Tsai CH, Tsai FJ, Huang CY, Tzang BS, Kuo WW. Garlic oil alleviates the MAPK and IL-6 mediated cardiac hypertrophy in STZ-induced DM rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2011;2011:950150. Epub 2010 Sep 15.
- Huang CY, Liou YF, Chung SY, Pai PY, Kan CB, Kuo CH, Tsai CH, Tsai FJ, Chen JL, Lin JY. Increased expression of glucose transporter 3 in gerbil brains following magnesium sulfate treatment and focal cerebral ischemic injury. Cell Biochem Funct. 2010 Jun;28(4):313-20.
- Weng YJ, Kuo WW, Kuo CH, Tung KC, Tsai CH, Lin JA, Tsai FJ, Hsieh DJ, Huang CY, Hwang JM. BNIP3 induces IL6 and calcineurin/NFAT3 hypertrophic-related pathways in H9c2 cardiomyoblast cells. Mol Cell Biochem. 345(1-2):241-7, 2010.
- Hsu MC, Chien KY, Huang CC, Hsu KF, Kuo CH. Swim training reduces metformin levels in fructose-induced insulin resistant rats. J Pharm Pharm Sci. Oct;15(1):85-93, 2011.
- Chen YL, Yeh DP, Kuo CH. Regression to the mean: error reduction versus blood pressure normalization by sports training. Journal of Sports Sciences, 29(6): 645-47, 2011.
- Chen YC, Lee SD, Hsih SY, Hsu YP, Kuo C. Perturbations of the stress-induced GLUT4 localization pathway in slow-twitch muscles of obese Zucker rats. J Physiol Biochem. 67(3):297-305, 2011.
- Chen YC, Ho LT, Hsih SY, Hsu YP, Kuo C. The effects of altitude training on the AMPK-related glucose transport pathway in the red skeletal muscle of both lean and obese Zucker rats. High Altitude Medicine & Biology. 12(4):371-8, 2011.
- Huang PI, Chou YC, Chang YL, Chen KH, Chen YJ, Kuo CH, Hsu CC, Lee HC, Yung MC. Enhanced Differentiation of three Gene–reprogrammed induced pluripotent stem cells into adipocytes via adenoviral-mediated PGC-1alpha overexpression. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 12(11):7554-68, 2011.
- Tzeng CY, Lai YC, Kuo CH. IGF-1 Partially Reproduces beneficial effect of exercise training on glucose tolerance in normal rats. Adaptive Medicine 3(2): 112-118, 2011.
- Shanmugam K.R., Mallikarjuna K., Nishanth K., Kuo CH and Sathyavelu Reddy K. Protective effect of dietary ginger on antioxidant enzymes and oxidative damage in experimental diabetic rat tissues. Food Chemistry, 124(4): 1436-1442, 2011.
- Chen LM, Kuo CH, Lai TY, Lin YM, Su CC, Hsu HH, Tsai FJ, Tsai CH, Huang CY, Tang CH. RANKL increases migration of human lung cancer cells through intercellular adhesion molecule-1 up-regulation. J Cell Biochem. 112(3):933-41, 2011.
- Chang HC, Yang YR, Wang PS, Kuo CH, Wang RY. IGF-I signaling for brain recovery and exercise ability in brain ischemic rats. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 43(12):2274-80, 2011.
- Cheng YY, Kuo CH, Hsieh WL, Lee SD, Lee WJ, Cheng LK, Kao CL. Anxiety, depression and quality of life (QoL) in patients with chronic dizziness. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 54(1):131-5, 2012.
- Chen SC, Liao CA, Lee SD, Chen YL, Lin CY, Kao CL, Kuo CH. Cross-generation link between inactive behavior of schoolchildren and metabolic disease category of parents. Chin J Physiol 2012 Apr 30;55(2):108-13 .
- Wu MC, Lin CH, Chen SM, Wang CC, Hsieh CC, Chia M, Kuo CH. Three-year revolution of physical fitness and BMI in schoolchildren aged 12-16 years with extreme BMI. Kinesiology, 44(1): 169-177, 2012.
- Subeq YM, Hsu BG, Lin NT, Yang FL, Chao YF, Peng TC, Kuo CH, Lee RP. Hypothermia caused by slow and limited-volume fluid resuscitation decreases organ damage by hemorrhagic shock. Cytokine. 60(1):68-75, 2012.
- Chia M, Liao CA, Huang CY, Lee WC, Hou CW.., Lee SD, Kuo CH. Reducing body fat with altitude hypoxia training in swimmers: Role of blood perfusion to skeletal muscles. Chin J Physiol, 2013 Feb 28;56(1):18-25.
- Lee SD, Shyu WC, Cheng IS, Kuo CH, Chan YS, Lin YM, Tasi CY, Tsai CH, Ho TJ, Huang CY. Effects of exercise training on cardiac apoptosis in obese rats. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2013 Jun;23(6):566-73.
- Chang YM, Tsai CT; Wang CC, Chen YS, Lin YM; Kuo CH, Tsai, FJ, Huang CH. Alpinate oxyphyllae fructus (alpinia oxyphylla miq) extracts inhibit ang II-induced cardiac apoptosis in h9c2 cardiomyoblast cells. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry. 2013;77(2):229-34.
- Huang CY, Yang AL, Lin YM, Wu FN, Lin J, Chan YS, Tsai FZ, Tsai CH, Kuo CH, and Lee SD. Anti-apoptotic and Pro-survival Effects of Exercise Training on Hypertensive Hearts. Journal of Applied Physiology. 112(5):883-91, 2012.
- Tseng CY, Lee JP, Tsai YS, Lee SD, Kao CL, Liu TC, Lai CS, Harris MB, Kuo CH. Topical cooling (Icing) delays recovery from eccentric exercise-induced muscle damage. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 2013 May;27(5):1354-61.
- Weng YS, Kuo WW, Lin YM, Kuo CH, Tzang BS, Tsai FJ, Tsai CH, Lin JA, Hsieh DJ, Huang CY. Danshen mediates through estrogen receptors to activate Akt and inhibit apoptosis effect of Leu27IGF-II-induced IGF-II receptor signaling activation in cardiomyoblasts. Food Chem Toxicol, 56:28-39, 2013
- Wu MC, Tsai YL, Huang CY, Kao CL, Hou CW, Chen CY, Mallikarjuna K, Jean WH, Lee SD, Kuo CH. Hyperinsulinemia and overweight in obese Zucker rats effectively suppressed by exercise training with hypoxia recovery. European Journal of Sport Science. 13(2): 221-230, 2013.
- Yu SH, Huang HY, Mallikarjuna K, Hsu MF, Hou CW, Lee SD, Kuo CH. Oral Rg1 supplementation strengthens antioxidant defense system against exercise-induced oxidative stress in rat skeletal muscles. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 2012 May 18;9(1):23.
- Liao YH, Liao KF, Kao CL, Chen CY, Huang CY, Chang WS, Ivy JL, Jeffrey R. Bernard JR, Lee SD, Kuo CH. Effect of Dehydroepiandrosterone Administration on Recovery from Mix-type Exercise Training-induced Muscle Damage. European Journal of Applied Physiology 2013 Jan;113(1):99-107.
- Cheng IS, Huang SW, Lu HC, Wu, CL, Chu YC, Lee SD, Huang CY, Kuo CH. Oral hydroxycitrate supplementation enhances glycogen synthesis in exercised human skeletal muscle. British Journal of Nutrition, 107: 1048-1055, 2012.
- Mallikarjuna K, Hou CW, Huang CY, Lee SD, Hsu MF, Yu SH, Chen CY, Liu YY, Kuo CH. Ginsenoside-Rg1 Protects the Liver against Exhaustive Exercise-induced Oxidative Stress in Rats. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2012:932165. doi: 10.1155/2012/932165.
- Liu TC, Lin CH, Huang CY, Ivy JL, Kuo CH. Effect of acute DHEA administration on free testosterone in middle-aged and young men following high-intensity interval training. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 113(7): 1783-92, 2013.
- Cheng SM, Cheng YJ, Wu LY, Kuo CH, Wu MC, Huang CH, Tin H, Lee SD. Activated apoptotic and anti-survival effects in fructose-induced metabolic syndrome rat hearts. Cell Biochemistry & Function. 2014 Mar;32(2):133-41. doi: 10.1002/cbf.2982.
- Hou CW, Tsai YS, Chien WH, Chen CY, Ivy JL, Huang CY, Kuo CH. Deep ocean mineral water accelerates recovery from physical fatigue. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2013, 10:7 doi:10.1186/1550-2783-10-7
- Tsai KH, Hsien HH, Chen LM, Ting WJ, Yang YS, Kuo CH, Tsai CH, Tsai FJ, Tsai HJ, Huang CY. Rhubarb inhibits hepatocellular carcinoma cell metastasis via GSK-3-β activation to enhance protein degradation and attenuate nuclear translocation of β-catenin. Food Chem. 2013 May 1;138(1):278-85.
- Chang HC, Yang YR, Wang PS, Kuo CH, Wang RY. The neuroprotective effects of intramuscular insulin-like growth factor-I treatment in brain ischemic rats. PLOS ONE. Accepted (2013.04.10).
- Chen SM, Kuo CH. Altitude training improves glucose tolerance. Chinese Journal of Physiology, 56(4): 193-198, 2013.
- Cheng SM, Ho TJ, Yang AL, Chen IJ, Kao CL, Wu FN, Lin JA , Kuo CH, Huang CY. Exercise training enhances cardiac IGFI-R/PI3K/Akt and Bcl-2 family associated pro-survival pathways in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. International Journal of Cardiology, 31;167(2):478-85, 2013.
- Lin YT, Kuo CH, Hwang IS. Fatigue effect on low frequency force fluctuations and muscular oscillations during rhythmic isometric contraction. PLOS ONE, 9(1):e85578. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0085578, 2014.
- Yang CH, Ting WJ, Shen CY, Hsu HH, Lin YM, Kuo CH, Tsai FJ, Tsai CH, Tsai Y, Huang CY. Anti-apoptotic effect of San Huang Shel Shin Tang cyclodextrin complex (SHSSTc) on CCl4 -induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Environ Toxicol. 2014 Nov 28. doi: 10.1002/tox.22078.
- Huang CY, Kuo WW, Kuo CH, Tsai FJ, Liu PY, Hsieh DJ. Protective effect of Danggui (Radix Angelicae Sinensis) on angiotensin II-induced apoptosis in H9c2 cardiomyoblast cells. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014 Sep 25;14:358. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-14-358.
- Li PC, Tien YC, Day CH, Pai P, Kuo WW, Chen TS, Kuo CH, Tsai CH, Ju DT, Huang CY. Impact of LPS-Induced Cardiomyoblast Cell Apoptosis Inhibited by Earthworm Extracts. Cardiovasc Toxicol. 2014 Sep 24. PMID: 25249212
- Nannepaga JS, Korivi M, Tirumanyam M, Bommavaram M, Kuo CH. Neuroprotective effects of bacopa monniera whole-plant extract against aluminum-induced hippocampus damage in rats: Evidence from electron microscopic images. Chin J Physiol. 2014 Oct 31;57(5):279-85.
- Chang YM, Ye CX, Ho TJ, Tsai TN, Chiu PL, Tsai CC, Lin YM, Kuo CH, Tsai FJ, Tsai CH, Huang CY. Alpinia oxyphylla Miquel fruit extract activates MAPK-mediated signaling of PAs and MMP2/9 to induce Schwann cell migration and nerve regeneration. Int J Artif Organs. 2014 May;37(5):402-13.
- Chen MC, Lee NH, Ho TJ, Hsu HH, Kuo CH, Kuo WW, Lin YM, Tsai FJ, Tsai CH, Liou CM, Tsai SC, Kuo CH, Ting H, Lee SD. Cardiac Fas-dependent and mitochondria-dependent apoptosis after chronic cocaine abuse. Int J Mol Sci. 2014 Apr 9;15(4):5988-6001.
- Kao CL, Tsai KL, Cheng YY, Kuo CH, Lee SD, Chan RC. Vestibular rehabilitation ameliorates chronic dizziness through the SIRT1 axis. Front Aging Neurosci. 2014 Mar 4;6:27. doi: 10.3389/fnagi.2014.00027. eCollection 2014.
- Hu WS, Ho TJ, Pai P, Chung LC, Kuo CH, Chang SH, Tsai FJ, Tsai CH, Jie YC, Liou YM, Huang CY. Gelsolin (GSN) induces cardiomyocyte hypertrophy and BNP expression via p38 signaling and GATA-4 transcriptional factor activation. Mol Cell Biochem. 2014 May;390(1-2):263-70.
- Leung TK, Kuo CH, Lee CM, Kan NW, Hou CW. Physiological effects of bioceramic material: harvard step, resting metabolic rate and treadmill running assessments. Chin J Physiol. 2013 Dec 31;56(6):334-40.
- Cheng YY, Leu HB, Chen TJ, Chen CL, Kuo CH, Lee SD, Kao CL. Metformin-inclusive therapy reduces the risk of stroke in patients with diabetes: a 4-year follow-up study. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2014 Feb;23(2):e99-105.
- Liou CM, Tsai SC, Kuo CH, Williams T, Ting H, Lee SD. Chronic methamphetamine exposure induces cardiac fas-dependent and mitochondria-dependent apoptosis. Cardiovasc Toxicol. 2014 Jun;14(2):134-44.
- Lin CH, Lin CC, Ting WJ, Pai PY, Kuo CH, Ho TJ, Kuo WW, Chang CH, Huang CY, Lin WT. Resveratrol enhanced FOXO3 phosphorylation via synergetic activation of SIRT1 and PI3K/Akt signaling to improve the effects of exercise in elderly rat hearts. Age (Dordr). 2014 Oct;36(5):9705.
- Tsao JP, Liao SF, Korivi M, Hou CW, Kuo CH, Wang HF, Cheng IS. Oral conjugated linoleic acid supplementation enhanced glycogen resynthesis in exercised human skeletal muscle. J Sports Sci. 2014 Nov 11:1-9.
- Chen MC, Lee NH, Ho TJ, Hsu HH, Kuo CH, Huang CY. Resistance to irinotecan (CPT-11) activates epidermal growth factor receptor/nuclear factor kappa B and increases cellular metastasis and autophagy in LoVo colon cancer cells. Cancer Lett. 2014 Jul 10;349(1):51-60.
- Chou SH, Lin SZ, Kuo WW, Pai P, Lin JY, Lai CH, Kuo CH, Lin KH, Tsai FJ, Huang CY. Mesenchymal stem cell insights: prospects in cardiovascular therapy. Cell Transplant. 2014;23(4-5):513-29.
- Chen CY, Hou CW, Bernard JR, Chen CC, Hung TC, Cheng LL, Liao YH, Kuo CH. Rhodiola crenulata- and Cordyceps sinensis-based supplement boosts aerobic exercise performance after short-term high altitude training. High Alt Med Biol. 2014 Sep;15(3):371-9.
- Yu SH, Huang CY, Lee SD, Hsu MF, Wang RY, Kao CL, Kuo CH. Decreased eccentric exercise-induced macrophage infiltration in skeletal muscle after supplementation with a class of ginseng-derived steroids. PLoS One. 2014 Dec 11;9(12):e114649.
- Lin KH, Kuo CH, Kuo WW, Ho TJ, Pai P, Chen WK, Pan LF, Wang CC, Padma VV, Huang CY. NFIL3 suppresses hypoxia-induced apoptotic cell death by targeting the insulin-like growth factor 2 receptor. J Cell Biochem. 2015 Jun;116(6):1113-20. doi: 10.1002/jcb.25067.
- Ting WJ, Kuo WW, Kuo CH, Yeh YL, Shen CY, Chen YH, Ho TJ, Viswanadha VP, Chen YH, Huang CY. Supplementary heat-killed Lactobacillus reuteri GMNL-263 ameliorates hyperlipidaemic and cardiac apoptosis in high-fat diet-fed hamsters to maintain cardiovascular function. British Journal of Nutrition. 2015 Aug 3:1-7.
- Chang WH, Tsai YL, Huang CY, Hsieh City, Chaunchaiyakul R, Fang Y, Lee SD, Kuo CH. Null effect of ginsenoside Rb1 on improving glycemic status in men during a resistance training recovery. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2015, 12:34. DOI: 10.1186/s12970-015-0095-6.
- Hou CW, Lee SD, Kao CL, Cheng IS, Lin YN, Chuang SJ, Chen, CY, Ivy JL, Huang CY, Kuo, CH. Improved inflammatory balance of human skeletal muscle during exercise after supplementations of the ginseng-based steroid Rg1. PLoS One. 2015 Jan 24;10(1):e0116387.
- Kuo CH, Harris MB. Abdominal fat-reducing outcome of exercise training: Fat burning versus hydrocarbon source redistribution? [Invited Review] Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology. 94(7):695-8, 2016.
- Liao PH, Hsieh DJ, Kuo CH, Day CH, Shen CY, Lai CH, Chen RJ, Padma VV, Kuo WW, Huang CY. Moderate exercise training attenuates aging-induced cardiac inflammation, hypertrophy and fibrosis injuries of rat hearts. Oncotarget. 6(34):35383-94, 2015.
- Chen PY, Hou CW, Shibu MA, Day CH, Pai P, Liu ZR, Lin TY, Viswanadha VP, Kuo CH, Huang CY. Protective effect of co-enzyme Q10 on doxorubicin-induced cardiomyopathy of rat hearts. Environ Toxicol, 32(2):679-689. doi: 10.1002/tox.22270, 2017.
- Hu WS, Lin YM, Kuo WW, Pan LF, Yeh YL, Li YH, Kuo CH, Chen RJ, Padma VV, Chen TS, Huang CY. Suppression of isoproterenol-induced apoptosis in H9c2 cardiomyoblast cells by daidzein through activation of Akt. Chin J Physiol. 2016 Dec 31;59(6):323-330.
- Lin YT, Kuo CH, Chen YC. Differences in force gradation between tug-of-war athletes and non-athletes during rhythmic force tracking at high exertion levels. Chin J Physiol, 59(5):260-267, 2016. doi: 10.4077/CJP.2016.BAE411.
- Ho CT, Otaka M, Kuo CH. Improving glucose tolerance by muscle-damaging exercise. J Tradit Complement Med. 2016 May 7;7(2):141-144.
- Huang CY, Chen JY, Kuo CH, Pai PY, Ho TJ, Chen TS, Tsai FJ, Padma VV, Kuo WW, Huang CY. Mitochondrial ROS-induced ERK1/2 activation and HSF2-mediated AT1-R Upregulation are required for doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity. J Cell Physiol. 2017 Mar 14. doi: 10.1002/jcp.25905.
- Wen SY, Velmurugan BK, Day CH, Shen CY, Chun LC, Tsai YC, Lin YM, Chen RJ, Kuo CH, Huang CY. High density lipoprotein (HDL) reverses palmitic acid induced energy metabolism imbalance by switching CD36 and GLUT4 signaling pathways in cardiomyocyte. J Cell Physiol. 2017 Nov;232(11):3020-3029. doi: 10.1002/jcp.26007.
- Lin YY, Cheng YJ, Hu J, Chu LX, Shyu WC, Kao CL, Lin TB, Kuo CH, Yang AL, Lee SD. The Coexistence of Hypertension and Ovariectomy Additively Increases Cardiac Apoptosis. Int J Mol Sci.17(12). pii: E2036, 2016
- Ting WJ, Yang JJ, Kuo CH, Xiao ZJ, Lu XZ, Yeh YL, Day CH, Wen SY, PadmaViswanadha V, Jiang CH, Kuo WW, Huang CY. Environmental tobacco smoke increases autophagic effects but decreases longevity associated with Sirt-1 protein expression in young C57BL mice hearts. Oncotarget. 2016 Jun 28;7(26):39017-39025. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.9176.
- Lee SD, Kuo WW, Ho YJ, Lin AC, Day CH, Viswanadha VP, Wang HF, Kuo CH, Lai CH, Huang CY. Therapeutic effects of Dioscorea on post-menopause-induced cardiac apoptosis in rats. Chin J Integr Med. 2016 Jun 14.
- Lin YY, Hsieh PS, Cheng YJ, Cheng SM, Chen CJ, Huang CY, Kuo CH, Kao CL, Shyu WC, Lee SD. Anti-apoptotic and Pro-survival Effects of Food Restriction on High-Fat Diet-Induced Obese Hearts. Cardiovasc Toxicol. 2017 Apr;17(2):163-174.
- Chen TS, Liou SY, Kuo CH, Pan LF, Yeh YL, Liou J, Padma VV, Yao CH, Kuo WW, Huang CY. Green tea EGCG enhances cardiac function restoration through expression of survival signaling in DM rats with autologous adipose tissue-derived stem cell. J Appl Physiol. 2017 May 25:jap.00471.2016. doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00471.2016.
- Hung TC, Liao YH, Tsai YS, Ferguson-Stegall L, Kuo CH, Chen CY. Hot water bathing impairs training adaptation in elite teen archers. Chin J Physiol, Accepted.
- Zhu R, Li J, Wen C, Harris B, Liu YY, Kuo CH. Lipid storage changes in human skeletal muscle during detraining. Frontiers in Physiology 2016, 6:309. doi:10.3389/fphys.2015.00309, 2016.
- Hsu MF, Yu SH, Korivi M, Jean WH, Lee SD, Huang CY, Liao YH, Lu J, Kuo CH. Hormetic property of ginseng steroids on anti-oxidant status against exercise challenge in rat skeletal muscle. Antioxidants (Basel). 2017 May 19;6(2). pii: E36. doi: 10.3390/antiox6020036.
- Shibu MA, Kuo CH, Chen BC, Ju DT, Chen RJ, Lai CH, Huang PJ, Viswanadha VP, Kuo WW, Huang CY (2017, Mar). Oolong tea prevents cardiomyocyte loss against hypoxia by attenuating p-JNK mediated hypertrophy and enhancing PIGF1R, p-akt, and p-Badser136 activity and by fortifying NRF2 antioxidation system. Environ Toxicol, doi: 10.1002/tox.22510, 2017.
- Chen YP, Kuo WW, Baskaran R, Day CH, Chen RJ, Wen SY, Ho TJ, Padma VV, Kuo CH, Huang CY. Acute hypoxic preconditioning prevents palmitic acid-induced cardiomyocyte apoptosis via switching metabolic GLUT4-glucose pathway back to CD36-fatty acid dependent. J Cell Biochem. doi: 10.1002/jcb.26501, 2017.
- Chang SH, Chang Y, CY, Tseng,..Kuo CH. Childhood overweight/obesity and social inequality in peri-urban regions of Taipei. Habitat International, 7:1-5, 2018
- Machiko Otaka, Shu-Man Chen, Yong Zhu, Yung-Shen Tsai, Ching-Yu Tseng, Chih-Yang Huang, Chia-Hua Kuo (2017, Sep). Does ovulation affect performance in tennis players? BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine, 4(1):e000305.
- Wei CY, Chen CY, Liao YH, Tsai YS, Huang CY, Chaunchaiyakul R, Higgins MF and Kuo CH. Deep ocean mineral supplementation enhances the cerebral hemodynamic response during exercise and decreases inflammation postexercise in men at two age levels. Frontiers in Physiology, doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2017.01016, 2017.
- Chen TS, Battsengel S, Kuo CH, Pan LF, Lin YM, Yao CH, Chen YS, Lin FH, Kuo WW, Huang CY. Stem cells rescue cardiomyopathy induced by P. gingivalis-LPS via miR-181b. Journal of Cellular Physiology, doi:10.1002/jcp.26386, 2017.
- Ho CF, Ho CF, Jiao Y, Wei B, Yang Z, Wang HY, Wu YY, Yang C, Tseng KW, Huang CY, Chen CY, Kuo CH. Protein supplementation enhances cerebral oxygenation during exercise in elite basketball players. Nutrition, 53:34-37, 2018
- Chiang JT, Badrealam KF, Shibu MA, Kuo CH, Huang CY, Chen BC, Lin YM, Viswanadha VP, Kuo WW, Huang CY. Eriobotrya japonica ameliorates cardiac hypertrophy in H9c2 cardiomyoblast and in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Environ Toxicol. 2018 Jul 4. doi: 10.1002/tox.22589.
- Huang CY, Pai PY, Kuo CH, Ho TJ, Lin JY, Lin DY, Tsai FJ, Padma VV, Kuo WW, Huang CY. p53-mediated miR-18 repression activates HSF2 for IGF-IIR-dependent myocyte hypertrophy in hypertension-induced heart failure. Cell Death & Disease, 8(8):e2990, 2017.
- Yang SC, Lin CC, Lee SD, Chen YL, Fogt D, Kuo CH. Impact of 12-second rule on performance and muscle damage of baseball pitchers. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 48(12):2512-2516, 2016.
- Huang CY, Kuo CH, Pai PY, Ho TJ, Lin YM, Chen RJ, Tsai FJ, Vijaya Padma V, Kuo WW, Huang CY. Inhibition of HSF2 SUMOylation via MEL18 upregulates IGF-IIR and leads to hypertension-induced cardiac hypertrophy. International Journal of Cardiology pii: S0167-5273 (17)33565-9, 2017.
- Wu J, Saovieng S, Cheng IS, Liu T, Hong SY, Lin CY, Su IC, Huang CY, Kuo CH. Ginsenoside Rg1 supplementation clears senescence-associated β-galactosidase in exercising human skeletal muscle. Journal of Ginseng Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgr.2018.06.002
- Yang YC, Tsai CY, Chen CL, Kuo CH, Hou CW, Cheng SY, Aneja R, Huang CY, Kuo WW. Pkcδ Activation is involved in ROS-mediated mitochondrial dysfunction and apoptosis in cardiomyocytes exposed to advanced glycation end products (AGES). Aging Dis. 2018 Aug 1;9(4):647-663, 2018.
- Hsu MF, Yu SH, Chuang SJ, Kuo TKC, Singal PK, Huang CY, Kao CL, Kuo CH. Can mesenchymal stem cell lysate reverse aging? Aging (Albany, NY). 10(10):2900-2910, 2018.
- Huang SC, Wu JF, Saovieng S, Chien WH, Hsu MF, Huang CY, Kuo CH. Doxorubicin inhibits muscle inflammation after eccentric exercise. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle. 8(2):277-284, 2017.
- Huang CY, Lai CH, Kuo CH, Chiang SF, Pai PY, Lin JY, Chang CF, Viswanadha VP, Kuo WW, Huang CY. Inhibition of ERK-Drp1 signaling and mitochondria fragmentation alleviates IGF-IIR-induced mitochondria dysfunction during heart failure. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2018 Aug 9;122:58-68.
- Yang C, Jiao Y, Wei B, Yang Z, Wu JF, Jensen J, Jean WH, Huang CY, Kuo CH. Aged cells in human skeletal muscle after resistance exercise. Aging (Albany, NY), 10(6):1356-1365, 2018.
- Higgins MF, Rudkin B, Kuo CH. Oral Ingestion of Deep Ocean Minerals Increases High-Intensity Intermittent Running Capacity in Soccer Players after Short-Term Post-Exercise Recovery: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Crossover Trial. Mar Drug, 17(5). pii: E309, 2019
- Hong F, Ye W, Kuo CH, Zhang Y, Qian Y, Korivi M. Exercise intervention improves clinical outcomes, but the "time of session" is crucial for better quality of life in breast cancer survivors: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Cancers (Basel). 11(5). pii: E706, 2019. doi: 10.3390/cancers11050706.
- Chen TS, Kuo CH, Day CH, Pan LF, Chen RJ, Chen BC, Padma VV, Lin YM, Huang CY. Resveratrol increases stem cell function in the treatment of damaged pancreas. J Cell Physiol. 2019 Apr 29. doi: 10.1002/jcp.28646. [Epub ahead of print]
International Guest Lectures
- European Master HPA. University of Rome "Foro Italico" - Piazza Lauro De Bosis 15 - 00135 Rome – Italy, October, 2019
- NIFISA 7th Seminar. Sports Nutrition. National Institute of Sports and Fitness, Topic: Sports Nutrition, August 27-29, 2019, Kanoya, Japan
- Semarang International Physiology Seminar and 27th Annual Meeting of Indonesian Physiology Society (SIPSAM 2019), July 10-11, 2019, Semarang, Indonesia
- NIFISA 7th Seminar. Sports Nutrition. National Institute of Sports and Fitness, Topic: Sports Nutrition, March 1, 2019, Kanoya, Japan
- The 7th Beijing International Sports Nutrition Forum. Topic: Aged cells in human skeletal muscle after exercise”. Chinese Sports Nutrition and Food Society, Chinese Institute of Food Science and Technology (CSNFS‐CIFST), Beijing, China, Oct 15, 2018.
- The 5th China Duoba International Forum on Altitude Training and Health and The 4th Sino-Nordic Sports Science Forum, Topic: Aerobic or Anaerobic challenge: Which exercise is more effective for fat loss? Aug 14, 2018.
- The 19th International Conference on Kinesiology, Korean Association of Certified Professionals (KACEP) and Korea Academy of Kinesiology (KAK), Topic: Senescent cell distribution in human skeletal muscle: Role of exercise and protein availability. May 19-20, 2018, Seoul, Korea
- 4th International Seminar on Public Health Education (ISPHE), Topic: Abdominal fat reducing effect of exercise training: Fat burning or carbon source redistribution? May 8-9 2018, Semarang State University, Indonesia
- NIFISA 6th Seminar. Sports Nutrition. National Institute of Sports and Fitness, Topic: Sports Nutrition, March 2nd-5th 2018, Kanoya, Japan
- Annul Meeting of Thai Physiological Society. Topic: Substrate Utilization and its implication in health and sports. December 3-4, 2017, Khon Kaen, Thailand
- Dasman Diabetes Center Training Course for Scientific Research Methodologies. Topic: Plenary Lecture: Exercise Research on Metabolic Aging. Training Lecture: Limitation of animal and human studies for exercise research. Nov 27-28, 2017, Dasman Diabetes Center, Dasman, Kuwait
- University of Rome “Foro Italico” Guest lecture: Exercise and obesity. October 9, 2017, Rome, Italy
- International Conference on Sports Nutrition and Adaptation. Dec 6-8, 2017. Topic: Role of exercise-induced inflammation and oxidative stress on training adaptation. Khon Kaen University, Thailand.
- Central European Congress on Obesity. Does fat loss require fat burning? Role of exercised skeletal muscle, Oct 6-8, 2017, Bratislava, Slovakia
- 6th International Symposium for Taekwondo Studies Taekwondo. June 27-29, 2017, Topic: Nutritional principle to optimize Taekwondo performance. Muju, Korea
- 10th International Congress on Sport Sciences. Topic 1: Exercise and longevity; Topic 2: Does fat loss requires fat burning? Role of skeletal muscle, April 26-27, 2017, Tehran, Iran
- NIFISA 5th Seminar between March 2-5. Sports Nutrition. National Institute of Sports and Fitness, Topic: Sports Nutrition, 2017, Kanoya, Japan
- NIFISA 4th Seminar between Aug 30-Sep 1, National Institute of Sports and Fitness, Topic: Sports Nutrition (Glycogen and performance, Obesity, Metabolism aging), 2015, Kanoya, Japan
- Odborná konference organizovaná Spolkem Zdravě pro vás ve spoluprácis Fakultou tělesné výchovy a sportu Univerzity Karlovy, Topic: Abdominal Fat reducing outcome of exercise training: Fat burning or carbon source redistribution. April 23, 2016, Prague, Czech
- International Sports Science Student Conference 2015, November 3, Topic: Abdominal fat-reducing effect of exercise training may not be associated with fat burning, University of Malaya, Kula Lumpur, Malaysia
- ISN Lecture Series, 2015, November 4, Topic: DHEA-S and coping capacity, National Sports Institute of Malaysia
- XIth World Congress of the International Society of Adaptive Medicine (ISAM 2015) between 27th-30th of May, 2015, Topic: The common misinterpretation about the fat-reducing outcome of exercise training: The fat burning effect? Yonago, Japan
- International Seminar of Sports and Exercise Science 2014 in UNESA. Oct 21. Topic: DHEA-S and coping capacity. Surabaya, Indonesia
- The first International Conference on Medical Innovation for Health, 2014, Nov 5th. Topic: Global sports science from the past to the future. Thammasat university, Bangkok, Thailand
- The fifth Beijing international sports nutrition food forum, 2014, Nov 18. Topic: The mechanism of fat loss through exercise”. Chinese Sports Nutrition and Food Society, Chinese Institute of Food Science and Technology (CSNFS‐CIFST), Beijing, China
- “Sport Nutrition and Ergogenic Aids 2014” in KKU on September 9. Topic: Ergogenic property of the insulin-sensitizing ginsenoside Rg1 in men. Khon Kaen, Thailand.
- 2014 Spring Korea Society of Exercise Physiology, Role of DHEA-S in Adaptation, Seoul Olympic Parktel, Soeul, Korea
- Deep ocean as a water source for preserving human physical performance (2012-11-07), 2012 International Conference of Sports Scientist, 2012-Nov 6-9, Soeul, Korea.
- Xth World Congress of the International Society of Adaptive Medicine (ISAM), June 7-10, 2012, Bucharest, Romania
- International Symposium on Hypoxia Training and Metabolic Syndromes, National Institute of Fitness and Sports, February 18, 2012, Kanoya, Japan,
- Role of DHEA-S in Altitude Adaptation, International Congress of Mountain Medicine, 2012-11-05. Taipei, Taiwan
- Deep Ocean Water for Human Performance, “International Seminar on Sport Science 2012” “Educating Sport Professional: Conserving Local Wisdom and Progressing Future”, 6th October 2012, Semarang, Indonesia
- 2012 International Sport Science Congress, Community Sport Industry and Healthy City, by KAHPERD International Sport Science. August 21-22, 2012, Mokpo, Korea
- 4th Beijing Forum for Sports Nutrition, Crown Plaza, July 15-16, 2012, China
- 2011 Korean Society of Exercise Physiology Conference, Nov 12, 2011.Kunsan, Korea,
- ICESS2010, May 26, 2010., Singapore
- International Conference on Sports and Exercise Science (Pre-Asean University Games Conference), Dec 11-14, 2010 in Chiang Mai, Thailand
- 8th World Conference of International Society of Adaptive Medicine in Russia Academy of Medical Science, June 14 - 17, 2006, Moscow, Russia
Research Grants (2010-now)
- Principal Investigator (2019-2022), Effect of concentric contraction-based exercise on senescent cells in human skeletal muscle: Role of inflammation (NT 3,76 M, Ministry of Science & Technology in Taiwan).
- Principal Investigator (2018-2019), Designing Rg1-standardized sports supplements for human performance enhancement and senescent cell clearance. (NT 1.26 M, Ministry of Science & Technology in Taiwan).
- Principal Investigator (2016-2018), Effect of Rg1 supplementation on mobility and longevity in rats. Role of cGMP. (NT 3.3 M dollars, Ministry of Science & Technology, Taiwan)
- Principal Investigator (2015-2016), Designing energy drink from deep ocean minerals, (NT 0.8 M dollars, Uni-President Corporation, Taiwan)
- Principal Investigator (2015-2016), Dose-response of ginseng steroid Rg1 on high intensity endurance performance and post-exercise recovery in glycogen, (NT 1.27 M dollars, Nuliv Science, Taiwan)
- Principal Investigator (2013-2016), Effect of sugar drink on mobility, glycemic control and longevity in rats. (NT 4.6 M dollars, Ministry of Science & Technology, Taiwan, 102-2410-H-845-018-MY3)
- Principal Investigator (2014-2016), Interactive effect of deep ocean water and sugar drink on rat longevity, (NT 3 M dollars, Taiwan Yes Deep Ocean Water Co. ltd, Taiwan)
- Principal Investigator (2015-2016), Effect of deep ocean water on post-exercise fatigue recovery in humans, (NT 0.7 M dollars, Taiwan Yes Deep Ocean Water Co. ltd, Taiwan)
- Co-Principal Investigator (2014-2015), Effect of increasing DHEA-S on mood and sports skill in female athletes, (Ministry of Science & Technology, Taiwan, 103-2410-H-128-008) 0.3 M dollars
- Co- Principal Investigator (2014-2015), Protective effect of exercise on heart in hypertensive animals, (Ministry of Science & Technology, Taiwan, 103-2314-B-039-005) 0.8 M dollars
- Co- Principal Investigator (2013-2014), Evolution of mood and sports skill during a menstrual cycle: Role of DHEA-S, (NT 0.3 M dollars, Ministry of Science & Technology, Taiwan, 102-2410-H-128-003)
- Principal Investigator (2013-2014), Effect of Q10 supplementation on inflammation and doxorubicin associated mortality, (NT 0.8 M dollars, PharmaEssentia, Taiwan)
- Principal Investigator (2011-2013), Effect of ginseng component dammarane steroids on mobility, longevity, and inflammation in rats, (NT 1.8 M dollars, Ministry of Science & Technology, Taiwan and Pegsus Pharmaceuticals, Canada)
- Principal Investigator (2011-2013), Ergogenic property of ginseng component dammarane steroids, (NT 0.98 M dollars, Pegasus Pharmaceuticals, Canada)
- Principal Investigator (2010-2011), Ergogenic property of ginseng component Rb1 and Rg1, (1.78 M dollars, Nuliv Science)
- Principal Investigator (2010-2011), Deep ocean mineral water in the treatment of post-exercise recovery, (NT 0.82 M dollars, Taiwan Yes Deep Ocean Water Co. ltd, Taiwan)
- Principal Investigator(2009-2010), Ergogenic evaluation for Rhodiola crenulata- and Cordyceps sinensis, (NT 1.65 M dollars, Industry promotion fund from Ministry of Science & Technology, Taiwan, 102-2410-H-845-017-MY2)
- Principal Investigator (2008-2010), Anti-fatigue potential of ginseng component dammarane steroids, (NT 3.2 M dollars, Pegsus Pharmaceuticals, Canada)
- Principal Investigator (2009-2012), Longitudinal observation of lifestyle intervention on sarcopenia in community elderly, (NT 2.7M dollars, Ministry of Science & Technology, Taiwan, 100-2314-B-010-025-MY3)
- Principal Investigator (2010-2013), Combined effect of exercise and magnesium supplementation on neuron apoptosis in diabetic animals, (NT 2.9 M dollars, Ministry of Science & Technology, Taiwan, 99-2410-H-468-030-MY3)
- Principal Investigator (2010-2013), Effect of stem cell extract on post-exercise recovery and longevity, (NT 3.18 M dollars, Ministry of Science & Technology, Taiwan, 99-2410-H-154-004-MY3)
(Persistent research funding supported from Ministry of Science & Technology since 1998)